Thomas Anning Dorson
Senior Lecturer: Marketing
Prior to joining WBS, he worked with University of Ghana Business School. Thomas is an enthusiastic scholar with keen interest in the issues of Innovation, Strategy and Marketing in Emerging Markets. He constantly seeks knowledge through research and shares same through teaching from the perspectives of both the customer and the service provider/brand. He likes to take up the challenge of helping companies (both small and large) to maximize the customer experience and value on one hand and corporate success on the other.
Prior to joining academia on full time basis, Thomas worked in the Ghanaian hospitality sector for more than half a decade and also consulted for a number of firms. His current research focuses on Competitive Strategy, Innovation, Services Management, Emerging Markets, Customer Experience Management, E-Marketing and Enterprise Development. His award-winning research outputs have been presented at reputable international conferences. Additionally, top tier international journals such as Journal of Business Research, International Marketing Review, Computer in Human Behaviour, International Journal of Innovation Management, Marketing Intelligence and Planning, Journal of Enterprise Information Management, European Journal of Innovation Management, International Journal of Bank Marketing, etc. have published his research outputs. He also serves as a reviewer for top tier journals in his area of research including Journal of Business Research, International Marketing Review, Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, Marketing Intelligence and Planning, Management Decision, Innovation: Management, Policy and Practice, Journal of Consumer Marketing among others.
Dr Anning Dorson is a Research Fellow at McGill University, Montreal, Canada on the QES Program. He is a visiting scholar at University of Ghana Business School. Thomas is a member of the American Marketing Association, a fellow at the Academiy of Markeitng Science and Academy of International Business. He was appointed in 2018 to serve as the Track Chair (2019-2021) - International Business Theory for the Academy of International Business, Sub-Saharan Africa Chapter (AIB Africa).
Peer-Review Journal Publications
- Tweneboah-Koduah, E, Anning-Dorson, T and Nyamekye, M.B (forthcoming), Impact of Customization and Innovation on Hospitability Firms Performance, Journal of Hospitality Marketing & Management, forthcoming (ISI, Scopus, CABS: 1-Star) https://doi.org/10.1080/19368623.2019.1528917
- Acheampong, G., Odoom, R., Anning-Dorson, T., & Anim, P. A. (2018). Resource access mechanisms in networks and SME survival in Ghana. Journal of Enterprising Communities: People and Places in the Global Economy, 12(5), 611-631. (Scopus, CABS: 1-Star)
- Anning-Dorson, T., Hinson, R., Amidu, M and Nyamekye, M.B. (2018), Enhancing Service Firm Performance through Customer Involvement Capability and Innovativeness, Management Research Review, 41(11), 1271-1289 (Scopus, CABS: 1-Star)
- Anning-Dorson, T. (2018), Innovation and Competitive Advantage Creation: The Role of Organizational Leadership in Service Firms from Emerging Markets, International Marketing Review, 34(4), 580-600 (ISI, Scopus, CABS: 3-Star)
- Anning-Dorson, T. (2018), Customer Involvement Capability and Service Firm Performance: The Mediating Role of Innovation, Journal of Business Research, 86 269-280 (ISI, Scopus, CABS: 3-Star)
- Anning-Dorson, T., Hinson, R. and Amidu, M. (2018), Managing market innovation for competitive advantage: how external dynamics hold sway for financial services, International Journal of Financial Services Management, 9/1 70 – 87 (CABS: 1-Star)
- Anning-Dorson, T. (2017), How Much and When to Innovate: The Nexus of Environmental Pressures, Innovation and Service Firm Performance, European Journal of Innovation Management, 20/4 599 - 619 (Scopus, CABS: 1-Star)
- Anning-Dorson, T. Odoom, R., Acheampong, G. and Tweneboah-Kodua, E. Y., (2017), Innovation and Organizational Development, The Role of Organizational Leadership, African Journal of Economic and Management Studies, 8/3 338 - 351 (Scopus)
- Anning-Dorson, T. Nyamekye, M. B. and Odoom, R., (2017), Effects of Regulations and Competition on the Innovativeness – Performance Relationship: Evidence from the Financial Services Industry, International Journal of Bank Marketing, 35/6 925 – 943 (Scopus, CABS: 1-Star)
- Anning-Dorson, T. (2017), Innovation Development in Service Firms: A Three-Model Perspective, International Journal of Services and Operations Management, 28/1 64-80 (Scopus, CABS: 1-Star)
- Odoom, R, Anning-Dorson, T. and Acheampong, G. (2017), Antecedents of Social Media Usage and Performance Benefits in Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (SMEs), Journal of Enterprise Information Management, 30/3 383- 399 (Scopus, CABS: 2-Star)
- Odoom, R., Agbemabiese, G. Anning-Dorson, T. and Mensah, P. (2017), Branding capabilities and SME performance in an emerging market – the moderating effect of brand regulations" Marketing Intelligence and Planning, Marketing Intelligence and Planning, 35/4, 473-487 (Scopus, CABS: 1-Star)
- Anning-Dorson, T. (2017), Moderation-Mediation Effect of Market Demand and Organization Culture on Innovation and Performance Relationship, Marketing Intelligence and Planning, 35/2, 222–242 (Scopus, CABS: 1-Star)
- Anning-Dorson, T. (2016), Interactivity Innovations, Competitive Intensity, Customer Demand and Performance, International Journal of Quality and Service Sciences, 8(4) 536 - 554. DOI: (Scopus, CABS: 1-Star)
- Boateng, H. Okoe, A. F., Adam, D. A. and Anning-Dorson, T (2016), Assessing the determinants of Internet Banking adoption intentions: A Social Cognitive Theory Perspective, Computers in Human Behavior, 65, 468-478. DOI: (ISI, Scopus, CABS: 3-Star)
- Anning-Dorson, T. (2016), Organizational Culture and Leadership as Mediators of Service Innovation and Firm Competitiveness: A Study of an Emerging Economy, International Journal of Innovation Management, Vol. 20, No. 7. 1650064 (IBSS, Scopus, CABS: 2-Star)
- Okoe, A., Boateng, H. and Anning-Dorson, T (2016), Consumers’ Preference for Foreign Products in an Emerging Market: Do Family Communication Patterns Play a Role? International Journal of Business and Emerging Markets, 8, No. 2, 210–221. (Scopus)
Refereed Conference Presentations and Proceedings Papers
- Anning-Dorson, T. (2019), Does Capability increase firm performance at all times? An assessment of firm involvement capability, Proceedings of 2019 Academy of Marketing Science (AMS) World Marketing Congress at Edinburgh, UK, July 9-12, 2019. Hosted by University of Edinburgh Business School
- Anning-Dorson, T. (2018), Involvement and Innovation for Competitiveness of Service Firms: A Two-Country Study, Proceedings of 2018 Academy of International Business Sub Saharan Africa Chapter Annual Conference at Kigali, Rwanda. Host Institution is University of Kigali, Rwanda, August 6-8, 2018.
- Anning-Dorson, T., and Nyamekye, M. B. (2018), Engagement Capability for Service Innovation and Firm Performance: The Moderating Role of Competitive Intensity, Proceedings of 2018 Annual Conference of the Emerging Markets Conference Board, Wits Business School, Johannesburg, South Africa, pp. 110- 121, April 4-7.
- Anning-Dorson, T. (2017), Creating Market Flexibility Through Culture and Leadership To Enhance Competitive Advantage. IIMI-NASMEI MARCON, Indian Institute of Management Indore, Indore, India, July 27-29. (Emerald Publication)
- Anning-Dorson, T., and Tweneboa-Koduah, E.Y. (2017), Customization and Process Innovation for Firm Performance Improvement: Evidence from the Hospitality Industry, Proceedings of the 18th International Academy of African Business and Development (IAABD) Conference, Georgia State University, Atlanta, Georgia, USA, May 17 – 20
- Anning-Dorson, T., Hinson, R. and Amidu, M. (2015), Environmental Moderators and Performance Effect Of Interactivity Innovation, Proceedings of 2015 Annual Conference of the Emerging Markets Conference Board, Institute of Management Technology, Dubai, pp. 31-32, January 20-22
+27 (11) 717 3951