Welcome letter: Director and Head of School, Wits Business School
We at the Wits Business School are delighted that you are considering joining our Master of Business Administration (MBA) Programme. Cognisant that change is the watchword of business, Wits Business School acknowledges that the best business schools will be those that not only keep up with this change but lead it.
Through a combination of leading edge research, academic excellence and global relevance, we provide our students with the knowledge and tools that they need to excel in the business world of today – and the ability to create the business world of tomorrow.
As the world turns its attention to emerging markets to pursue business interests, we appreciate the importance of producing graduates who have a comprehensive understanding of the unique drivers behind local and emerging market economies other than our own. Our strategic geographical position places us in the centre of Africa’s emerging market hub, Johannesburg; an exciting cosmopolitan city that provides access to a rich socio political and economic history that enables its citizens to continuously critique its local, continental and global relevance.
If you are looking for an MBA programme that will advance your career and growth as a leader, we invite you to join us on this quest for self-understanding, learning and discovery which will undoubtedly increase your management and leadership capacity and will make a measurable difference to your performance.
We hope to welcome you to Wits Business School.
Professor Steve Bluen
Director and Head of School, Wits Business School
Our MBA’s unique structure is wrapped around three pillars of learning: internationalisation/globalisation, strategic competitiveness & innovativeness, and an entrepreneurial orientation. These have been deliberately chosen to develop managers that would lead and manage in developing, emerging, or transiting economies. Students may craft their own distinctive area of emphasis (including finance, marketing, strategy, leadership, amongst others) for their MBA through the electives they select, some of which may be taken at our international partner business schools.
WBS MBA Curriculum Structure
1. Five Attendance Courses
• Leadership Development,
• Social Responsibility,
• Career Management,
• Contemporary Business Thinking,
• Numeracy Competence
2. Ten Core Courses
• Micro- & Macro-economics,
• Organisational Behaviour & Human Resources,
• Corporate Finance and Statement Analysis,
• Operations & Decision Science,
• Ethics & Governance,
• Information & Systems Management,
• Leading in a Complex Environment
3. Five Elective Courses and one compulsory global module (International Business Trip)
4. One Research Report
Three Pillars of Learning
• Internationalisation / Globalisation
• Strategic Competitiveness & Innovativeness
• Entrepreneurial Orientation
- First degree
- Post-university experience - a minimum of 3yrs for the full-time programme and 4 years for the part-time programme
- Acceptable GMAT score OR Wits Admission Test (Psychometric Test)
- One-page motivation letter
- Mathematics - A level of competence equivalent to the requirements of the SA Matriculation certificate is advisable.
- SAQA Accreditation (international applicants only)
- SAQA contact details: Help desk - 086 010 3188; Switchboard - 012 431 5000
- Complete an online application form on the below link https://www.wits.ac.za/applications/portal/index
- Note: An additional application form (Management Part 3 Form) must be completed
- Pay the non-refundable application fee of R200
- Submit original or certified copies of your school leaving and degree certificate(s) and academic transcripts/record (this is a complete list of all subjects taken for your degree (including any courses that were failed) and the results you achieved.
- Submit the one page motivation letter
- Submit current CV
- Submit test scores – please note that you may submit your application with the GMAT or Wits Test scores pending, however we are unable to make a final decision without these scores.
- All the supporting documents can be uploaded; however the original certified copies of degree certificate and transcript MUST still be dropped off or sent via post to the Student Enrolment Centre (Senc) at Senate House (Wits main Campus).
- Applicants taking the Wits Admission Test must upload the unique test number provided on the day of the test .GMAT scores will be sent directly to the school by the GMAT Centre.
- Full Time Class - Mon-Fri 8:30 to 16:00
- Weekday Part Time - Two weekday nights per week 17:30-20:30 (Tuesdays & Thursdays with occasional lecturers scheduled on a Saturday)
- Saturday Part Time - Every Saturday 08:00 to 14:30 with occasional lectures in the evening on a weekday)
- Saturday Part Time - Every Saturday 08:00 to 14:30 with occasional lectures in the evening
|BUSA 7371||Micro and Macro-economics|
|BUSA 7373||Organisational Behaviour and Human Resources|
We strongly encourage all candidates to submit their applications as early as possible. Applications will be dealt with and provisional offers made to successful applicants as soon as the completed application has been processed.
Please ensure that all documentation and correspondence is forwarded to:The Student Enrolment Centre, Wits Main Campus
Tel: 011 717 1030
MBA applicants who opt to sit for the GMAT, and who require assistance with preparation for the GMAT, are advised to contact Shimon Goldchmit on 082 336 3217 or email@example.com and Janine Barnes on 073 451 3822 or firstname.lastname@example.org
For bookings of GMAT, contact Justin Jacobs on 011 784-3093 or Justin.email@example.com
More information on the GMAT is available at www.mba.com